(Warner Bros. Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the DVD I reviewed in this post. The opinions I share are my own.)
DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year is on DVD, August 23rd!
Move over boys! It’s time for the girls to take flight in this all-new ground-breaking franchise. Join Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl along with fellow gal pals Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Bumblebee and Katana. Enrolled at the esteemed Super Hero High, the teens in training practice their unique abilities and master the fundamentals of becoming super heroes. As the students compete for the annual Hero of the Year prize, the ominous Dark Opal and his mysterious partner-in-crime target the girls and the school in their plot to rule the universe. Join the DC Super Hero Girls as they discover that the real power lies within each and every one of us!
My daughter is in love with the new movie, DC Super Hero Girls: Hero of the Year.
She especially liked “how funny Harley Quinn was, the powerful crystals that the girls had to defend from Dark Opal, and the battle at Dark Opal’s castle on the moon.”
I love the variety of good female role models and diversity of the characters, but that it’s not too girly to turn boys off…there was enough action-adventure that my son enjoyed watching it as well.
These young Super Heroes discover unique abilities, develop powers, and combat an abundance of overwhelming, exciting and awkward moments to master the fundamentals of being a hero – one day at a time! The group includes:
- Wonder Woman was raised on Themyscira, a paradise island overflowing with female leaders. This natural born leader has super strength, the power of flight and a magic lasso that forces anyone to tell the truth.
- Batgirl is crazy smart – she was accepted to Super Hero High based on her brainpower alone (she wasn’t born with super powers). But this crime-fighting sleuth may be the most influential of all! Her unparalleled intellect, expert martial arts skills, photographic memory and legendary detective skills are a formula for an incredible Super Hero.
- Supergirl is the most powerful teen on earth, but also incredibly clumsy. She has super strength, super hearing and super speed but will need to be sure she doesn’t trip over her own two feet en route to saving the world.
- Harley Quinn is the resident class clown who lives for jokes and over-the-top pranks. Nonetheless, this quick-witted gymnast is sneaky and full of surprises.
- Bumblebee has the ability to shrink, allowing her to sneak around without being spotted. She makes sure her team is never surprised by any villains or enemies up to no good.
- Poison Ivy, got caught up in a botched lab experiment, and now has the ability to control and summon plants. She’s gradually adapting to her amazing new powers and blossoming into her new life.
- Katana is an artist with an edge – this fearless martial arts fashionista is up for any crime-fighting test and is never without her sword.
Together, these seven fearless Super Heroes prove that we all have the power to make the world a better place – even while school is in session!
Available on Digital HD and on DVD 8/23
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links that help support this site at no cost to you.)