Good morning! It’s Cyber Monday and the deals are already lighting up the Internet! I’ve got tips to help you win Cyber Monday and stretch your dollars without burnout. (I also shared some of them on WCCO This Morning!)
- Set a budget! This is easier said than done, because it’s easy to get drawn into sales and overspend! Set a budget before the day begins, stick to it and you’ll be good to go.
- Stay organized! Make a list of people you need to buy gifts for and what you have in mind for each person. Then, when you find ideas at a great price for each person, you can cross them off. Also, have shipping addresses on hand if you plan to ship some gifts directly. Also be sure to set a budget and make a list for yourself – most people shop for themselves during this time of year, too, so if there are items you’re looking for, write them down so you can plan them into your shopping today!
- Spend a little time this morning planning ahead. I recommend a free app like Flipp – Flipp rounds up all of the sales ads & circulars in your area and presents them in an easy to “flip” through format. Plus it’s interactive – you can search by store, item or savings amount. For example, you can search for items that are 30% off, 40% off, and over 50% off – so you can instantly find where the biggest savings are!You can also search for items, like a TV, to price-match to see where you can get the best deals! When you find an item you want to check out in the store, just tap it and Flipp will circle and clip it. Then you can view all the items you’ve marked when shopping in store.
- Use hashtags! Search for hashtags like #shopsmall and #cybermonday to find deals you may not find otherwise. This way you’ll find the popular, trending deals, but also, small, independent businesses (including many run by moms!) are offering great deals right now and posting them with those hashtags to be found by deal-seekers.
- Go for incentives! Many restaurants and businesses are offering bonus gift card deals when you purchase gift cards.Here is an older list of gift card deals I put together.Update 2017: WCCO put together this list of best restaurant gift card deals 2017!
- Consider experience gifts – gifts of time and fun! These include tickets to museums, live stage shows, and other fun you can enjoy with your family. I listed some in my guide to Twin Cities Holidays Deals & Events for Families 2017.
- Know what to buy. Typically, electronics and toys are “best bets” on Cyber Monday! Use apps or websites to search for items and price match!
8. Print your receipts and order confirmations so you have everything in one place and can easily reference them for returns or exchanges, if needed.
9. Finally, have fun! It’s cold outside, and if you’re in the comfort of your own home or workplace (if you’re allowed to shop a little while at work!), enjoy being able to get great deals at your computer today!