The 2015 Saint Paul Winter Carnival, known as “The “Coolest Celebration on Earth,” has begun!
Most events will take place in downtown Saint Paul, in and around Rice Park and Landmark Center, as well as at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
There are tons of events going on…MOST of which are FREE, making me give it a high-five for frugal family-friendliness!
There are too many events to share all in one post here, but I do want to highlight the free or low-cost kid-friendly activities going on that you won’t want to miss (especially as long as this winter stays as it has – not as brutal as last year!).
2015 Saint Paul Winter Carnival FREE Kid-Friendly Events
Saturday, January 24th
Saint Paul Hotel Hot Chocolate – 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: Saint Paul Hotel, 350 Market Street. Enjoy FREE hot chocolate!
King Boreas Grande Day Parade – 2 p.m. start
Location: Smith Street Bridge to Rice Park, along West 7th Street
Winter Carnival Kid’s Day – 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Location: Landmark Center, 75 5th Street West
Royal Family Day Roller Skating – 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Ticketed Event: $6 or $5 with a Winter Carnival button, additional cost for skate rental
Location: Saints North Roller Rink 1818 Gervais Court, Maplewood
Red Bull Crashed Ice – 6:45 p.m.
Location: Near the Cathedral of Saint Paul
Saint Paul will host the 2015 Season Opener for the Ice Cross Downhill World Championship
Visit redbullcrashedice.com for more information.
Sunday, January 25th
Snow Park at the Fair Presented by the Saint Paul Winter Carnival Vulcans – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Come and enjoy the snow sculptures, fire truck rides, and the snow slide! FREE!
Location: State Fairgrounds, 1265 North Snelling Avenue
Saint Paul Civic Symphony in Landmark Center – 3 p.m.
A special performance by the Saint Paul Symphony Civic Orchestra in partnership with Landmark Center.
Location: Landmark Center Cortile, 75 5th Street West
Visit saintpaulcivicsymphony.org for more information.
Saturday, January 31st
Winter Carnival Family Day Events – noon to 5 p.m.
Location: Landmark Center, 75 5th Street West
Entertainment and activities for all ages!
Winter Wonderland in Rice Park
Friday, Jan 23 – Sunday, Feb 1
Rice Park, 109 4th Street W, Saint Paul, MN+ Google Map
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and Rice Park has the events to prove it during the entire Winter Carnival. Free and open to the public throughout Winter Carnival. Ice sculptures are on display, sit in a Royal Throne made of ice, view the Ice Castle Sponsor Wall. Live entertainment on the Rice Park stage, vendor booths and other activities. Decorated with beautiful lights and greenery. Enjoy a Summit beer or Cannon River wine at the ice bar.
Ice Palace Display. Free and Open to the Public.
Thursday, Jan 22nd – Sunday, Feb 1st
Exact replicas of all the former Saint Paul Winter Carnival ice castles built to scale. On display throughout Winter Carnival inside of the Landmark Center.
Giant Snow Slide. $1.00 per ride (sled provided).
Saturday, January 24th – Sunday, February 1st.
Snow Park, Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
The giant snow slide was re-introduced to the Snow Park in 2014 after a seven-year hiatus. It’s so fun and popular that we’re doing it again! The 2014 slide measured approximately 15′ high and 110′. This year’s slide is planned to be even longer. Weather permitting, the slide will be open daily throughout the Saint Paul Winter Carnival (the slide will close if weather conditions are dangerous). Watch here for specific hours of operation and closure announcements.
Here is a list of NEW events at the St. Paul Winter Carnival this year:
In addition to their traditional festivities such as the parades, ice sculptures, and snow carvings, there are a
few new happenings this year:
- Behold a magical new addition to Rice Park – the Royal Courtyard! This ice structure will have 1,000 blocks of ice, each harvested from Lake Phalen. Inside the Courtyard will be fun activities such as a small slide, a sound and light show, the King’s Chair, and legend character cutouts for photo opportunities!
- Kat Perkins, a Top 5 contestant on NBC’s “The Voice” Season 6, will be performing on the Rice Park main stage on Saturday, Jan. 24 at 7 p.m. She will also serve as Grand Marshall in the Grande Day Parade earlier that day.
- The Inaugural Minnesota United FC SnowBall will be held at Como Park on Jan. 31 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sixteen teams of nine adults will have a ball competing for a cabana at a future Minnesota United FC professional soccer game.
- Join the first Winter Carnival Pie Eating Contest on Saturday, Jan. 31 on the UCare Stage in Rice Park beginning at 3:30 p.m. Ten participants will be challenged to eat an entire Sunny Lane blueberry pie as fast as possible. No silverware or hands allowed!
- Also on the second Saturday, the Freeze Your Bags Tournament will begin at noon outdoors on 4th Street & Washington near Rice Park. The eight-team bag tossing tournament will start at noon and continue until one team is crowned champion.
- Check out their brand-new colorful website at wintercarnival.com. Here you’ll find all the history of the carnival and the most up-to-date info on events and festivities.