Hilarious! Way better than I expected.
That’s what I thought as my kids and I left the theater this week after a special pre-screening of Disney’s NEW animated movie, Big Hero 6.
Big Hero 6 is released in theatres today – Friday, November 7th. The action-comedy adventure takes place in a fictional, technologically-advanced city called San Fransokyo. It’s about how a 13-year-old robotics prodigy named Hero, a friendly robot named Baymax, and Hero’s closest “geek” companions become self-made superheroes to fight a villain.
I didn’t know what to expect other than great Disney animation, but I honestly was blown away by the movie. We saw it in 3-D which made it much more visually stunning and exciting. My kids were also captivated the whole length of the movie and enjoyed it more than they expected.
There were three things I liked best about Big Hero 6:
1) HUMOR. Nevermind LOL. This is a LAUGH OUT LOUD movie that broke the audience out into roaring laughter so many times throughout that I was glad it was as long as it was (1 hr and 45 minutes) – I didn’t want it to end!
2) Non-stop entertainment. This is a movie you don’t want to have to leave to go to the bathroom. It’s fast-paced and grasps your attention from beginning to end. There are moments of joy, surprise, grief, anger, and every other emotion an animated story can offer. (And of course, as I already mentioned, it’s funny!)
3) Unpredictability. The whole story was one unexpected turn after another, while satisfying throughout despite the full range of emotions you’ll feel. At the end of the movie you’ll say you’d have never guessed at the beginning how it would play out.
There are a couple of minor things some viewers may want to know in advance:
1) there is slightly grown-up humor, like one mention of puberty, that made the adults laugh but was above kids’ heads (the movie did get a PG rating)
2) just a personal thing – one of the female “superhero” characters annoyingly popped her gum 3 times in the movie (something no one should do – it’s obnoxious!) Again though…just a personal thing, and something some with sound sensitivities would want to know in advance.
Overall this was a GREAT movie. My kids said they liked it as much as other Disney movies including Frozen. I rate it 4.5 out of 5 stars. See it with your kids!
(Disclosure: My kids and I received free passes to an advanced screening. All opinions are 100% mine.)