I just heard about a new book that would make a great Mother’s Day gift for the frugal mom. It’s called The Recipe for Radiance: Discover Beauty’s Best-Kept Secrets in Your Kitchen by Alexis Wolfer.
The Recipe for Radiance includes 131 all-natural DIY beauty and food recipes—with 60+ from industry experts, celebs and chefs—offering women an affordable and easy way to beautify from the inside out. Using ingredients already in your kitchen, The Recipe for Radiance addresses every major beauty concern with internal (EAT IT) and topical (APPLY IT) food-based solutions.
Here are two SAMPLE recipes from the book. The Raw Brownie Batter Pudding is to eat (yummy!), and the Rejuvenating Eye Polish is to apply.
Raw Brownie Batter Pudding Recipe
Vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. agave
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)
- Granny Smith apple (optional)
- Banana (optional)
- Strawberries (optional)
- Puree the avocado in a food processor or with an immersion blender until creamy.
- Slowly add the raw cacao powder, agave, vanilla extract, and almond milk, stirring constantly until well blended
- Top with walnuts and/or fruit for dipping, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Raw cacao is loaded with anti-aging flavonoids, procyanidin, and catechins. Plus, avocado, the base of this raw brownie batter pudding, is packed with hydrating and anti-aging fats and antioxidants that protect skin from sun damage and ensure that skin stays hydrated, supple, and youthful.
All skin types
- 1 tbsp. avocado
- 1 tbsp. grape seed oil
- 3 tbsp. whole milk
- Using a fork or blender, combine the avocado with grape see oil until creamy. Slowly add the milk until well combined
- Saturate 2 cotton pads with the mixture and apply under your eyes for 15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry
Steering clear of aggressive, granular exfoliants in favor of the naturally occurring lactic acid found in milk, this compress gently breaks down dead skin cells to reveal a more youthful complexion. Simultaneously it hydrates with the fat in both the milk and avocado and protects through the antioxidant-rich grape seed oil.
To order the book: www.amazon.com/The-Recipe-Radiance-Discover-Best-Kept/dp/0762450401
Credit: Recipes reprinted with permission from THE RECIPE FOR RADIANCE: Discover Beauty’s Best-Kept Secrets in Your Kitchen © 2014 by Alexis Wolfer, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.