Soup is filling, healthy, and has limitless variations. It’s even better when it’s Homemade Soup!
My German grandparents eat it almost every day and they make it from scratch – even the broth. And it’s always delicious! They came to America 50 years ago with two children and nothing to start with so they had to think of ways to eat healthy foods for cheap.
I love to make soup from scratch, except I cheat and use pre-made broth, specifically Trader Joe’s because it’s the cheapest (around $2.29 for a boxed quart of vegetable or organic chicken broth – I use low sodium).
Here’s one type of simple yet hearty soup I make:
Homemade Veggie-Sausage Soup Recipe
- Quart (32 fl. oz) of vegetable broth
- 2.Add peeled, fresh chopped veggies – carrots, potatoes, celery, onions or leeks, peas
- Add spices to taste, like bay leaves, oregano, basil
- Boil, lower heat, cook until vegetables are soft
- I like to add grilled organic chicken sausages like sun-dried tomato or garlic variation (from Trader Joe’s or SuperTarget), as you can see in the picture.
I serve the recipe hot, but like many soups you can make ahead and store in a sealed container in the fridge.